Empower yourself for change

Monday, March 24, 2008

Madonna's Dream

Many years ago I decided to find out more about Madonna because I wanted to learn about her career success. I must admit that today I do not remember too much about what she did or how she did it. What I do remember though, is that at some point she made a decision about her life. She had some kind of dream, and whether you agree or disagree with the result, the point is she decided to make a change.

I'm aware that so much is new and changing around me these days. People and products I'd never heard of 10 years ago are now part of my everyday language. Jacob Zuma leads the ANC, Barack Obama could soon make history, I talk to friends using skype and facebook, online dictionaries and wikipedia provide instant information, and my 11 year old can tell me what a Wii is (and I thought I knew all this time!).

Behind every new name and product you will find someone - yes, a real person -who has made a decision to put time, effort, and energy into making a change in their lives, and probably other people's lives as well. The change only happens because somebody has said "I'm going to do it". Change in your life does not have to be as public and world changing as my examples, it can be a private affair. It takes just a moment to commit to doing something differently and move towards creating an alternative future for your life. Madonna was an ordinary girl before she became a material girl. The change did not just happen. It was a decision she made.

No comments: