Empower yourself for change

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Doing change

If you and I have ever met professionally chances are it's been about change. This literally dawned on me (at 6am this morning) as my brain unconsciously answered a question I've been asking for days - what do all my client's have in common? The answer: they all want change in their lives. That simple.

Most of them didn't ask for it though. Most of us are quite happy getting on with our lives, doing what we've always done. And then, slowly over time, or in a moment, we realise that something has changed. Things are not as comfortable anymore. By the time I meet my client they have usually been trying everything they know to make things right. The trouble is I do not remember learning about change as a subject at school. It's one of those areas of life, like stress, that we are expected to be able to handle. And if we struggle it says something about our character.

In my experience I've learned that there are ways of dealing with change in life that are more effective than others. I've also made it my job to know how to help people to cope with change. Usually this has been when they are no longer able to do it by themselves and they are needing support and guidance to move forward. And while I work well in this situation I have always wondered what it would be like for this person if they had learned different skills earlier in life, skills that might have allowed them to do something differently, to think alternatively, to avoid this place that they now find themselves.

So, in the hope of meeting you earlier on the road, I will be filling these spaces with thoughts and ideas about being ready for change and dealing with change in ways that keep you in control. And if I can help you smile and enjoy yourself at the same time then I'll be having fun too.

No comments: