Empower yourself for change

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

What's possible in your life?

If your heart was to stop beating medics might plunge a long needle into your heart to inject adrenalin and get it going again. Sometimes in life we just need that shot in the arm, or a kick on the backside to get us going.

I'm no medic. In fact it was 'Pulp Fiction' that reminded me of the adrenalin injection to the heart. Hardly ER or even Gray's Anatomy! I know that many of us reach a place of despondancy and hopelessness in our lives - when the way forward is not clear and the change that's needed is just too much. I know because I've been there. Drastic action is required. A shot of adrenalin to the heart.

When it's fear and uncertainty that stop us it's not adrenalin that's needed. It's inspiration. Inspiration - an interesting word that's defined as 'the act of breathing in'. Other words with the same sort of meaning include arousal, awakening, brainstorm, creativity, elevation, encouragement, enthusiasm, exaltation, illumination, impulse, incentive, insight, motivation, revelation, spark, stimulation, and vision. You get the idea.

I was recently introduced to a video of a musician by the name of Tony Melendez. In fact I'm not going to tell you about it. I'd rather you watched it yourself.



When you've seen the video you may want to find out more about Tony Melendez here (see his performance with the Pope!)

I've seen and heard many inspiring people before. I'm sure you have too. People who have endured great hardship and get to tell the tale. In this case the injection of inspiration includes a stimulant called 'hope'. When I see how other people live in the same world I inhabit, and find ways to make it work, it gives me hope that anything is possible. Even Elisabeth Kubler-Ross included hope in her five stage model of change. This hope is the belief that there will be a positive end to the change and that there is some meaning that will eventually be learned from the experience. Hope is essential in times of change. Hope can give us the inspiration that change in our life is possible. That life is possible.

And I'd far rather watch Tony Melendez than get a kick in the backside. Or a needle to my heart, thank you!

Mark Connelly - Change Management Coach, Business & Life Coach, Psychologist - Cape Town

No comments: